7 Reasons to Slow Down While Eating
1. Digestion starts with your sense of smell. Breathe in those delicious aromas to get your digestive juices flowing.
2. Give thanks for your food, allowing feelings of gratitude to overtake any stress you may be feeling.
3. Pick up your fork with the opposite hand that you're used to using. That right there will force you to slow down.
4. Chew your drink and drink your food. Chewing your drink (smoothie) tells your body that it's a meal that needs to be digested properly. Chew your food until it's the consistency of a drink. Doing this allows for proper nutrient absorption and also reduces bloating.
5. Slowing down allows you to experience the seasoning, texture, and the real taste of your food instead of inhaling it. You may realize while doing this that you don't actually like what you're eating, which is why you might be covering it with ketchup and mustard.
6. Slowing down actually speeds up your metabolism.
7. Give yourself more time to eat your meal to avoid over-eating. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to realize that you're full.
These are only a few of the reasons why we should slow down and get ourselves in the proper state of mind while eating. The idea of inhaling our food in our car while rushing around with our endless list of chores, errands, and appointments, is not honoring our bodies the way they deserve. Try incorporating one of these tips every day. In a week, you will have done all of them and can hopefully make them your new rituals.